Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: teaching advice?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member troutbrooke's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2005
    Posts
    904
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Take it slowly at first and you should be fine. Teaching can really burn you out. Some students will be motivated and will practice and work on the material you give them, and others will be polar opposites. What I used to do, is if the student didn't work on the material from the prior lesson, I would let them spend the current lesson working on it.

    I haven't taught in a while, although I plan to get back into it soon when I have more free time, but as for rates, you should just check out what your local music stores are charging. I would guess that they would vary between $30 and $75 an hour - perhaps more if you're traveling to their home.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    In our area, (outside Chicago) the rates are around $40 and hour. If you are an average reader, start working at improving it because students will show up with audition material (such as the Cirone book) wanting it explained or have you play it so they can make sense of it. They'll also want you to write out bits from tunes, so start doing some transcribing - that will help your reading too. You may be also asked to teach them Bell parts etc., so hopefully you can get through that material as well. You have to be positive (this can be difficult), and should expect that many students will hardly practice at all, and that for many, drums are just another thing they do - like Soccer. It can be interesting, fun and it can help your skills too. I teach a ton of students and vary from highly motivated to completely burnt out every other day!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member peter b's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 29th, 2004
    Posts
    184
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hey thanks dsp and vdrummer! i realize like in any line of work...you can get burnt out. i will start slow, and see how i like it. just do it on the side. i am excited to give it a shot though. cut the life rope of my daily routine. i think for most people that can be scary (including me) but you never find out what you 'calling' is unless you start trying something new.

    as for study materials....do you have a beginners type 'work book' that you really like?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member troutbrooke's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2005
    Posts
    904
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by zombywoof:
    as for study materials....do you have a beginners type 'work book' that you really like?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think the standard books are Syncopation, Stick Control, and Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer. After that, the Chaffee books cover the rest. It's how you 'use' these books that will set you apart from other teachers.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    Personally, I don't like either Stick Control or Syncopation. Syncopation is often used to teach snare reading and jazz independence, but other books do both better. The presence of bass drum notes make it possible for students to cheat, and not learn how to actually read note and rest values.

    Stick Control is fine, but there are better books to teach hand development. Check out some rudimental books, even some by WIlcoxin will teach more useful (and musical patterns) than Stick Control will. Plus, I've yet to find a teacher who actually teaches more than a couple of pages out of that book (or Accents and Rebound).

    Chaffee's books are very good.

    I write all my own lesson (currently over 1000 Finale files).

    Brad

  6. #6
    Inactive Member peter b's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 29th, 2004
    Posts
    184
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hey guys....i know there are some drum teachers/instructors out there. i am going to try my hand at teaching. i really think i CAN be very good at it. i've studied drums since the age of ten and i CAN read pretty well (concet band, jazz band, marching band through high school). i have been a house painter for twenty years while playing drums basically every weekend just as long. i really don't like painting. didn't go to college. the only things i can do well are paint and drum....and one of them i can hardley stand. i realize being a rock star is pretty much out of reach (i'm 39 yrs old). but i want to try and pursue at least a full time 'avenue' of something i love. eventually if/when i build up enough students, i will go full time. for you teachers out there; am i crazy? do you like/ or better yet, love doing it? i realize there are lots of students who don't/won't practice, frustrations like that. anyway, i am also wondering what types of 'materials' should i have on hand? most students will probably be beginners or very close to it. books, study materials you would recommend? i have taken more advanced lessons recently so those really won't apply. except for some of the great 'basics' the teacher brought me back to. and lastly, rates??? i live an 'upper middle class' area outside of chicago. these people have some money. just thought that might apply. i will be offering to locations; my home studio, or the students house. 1/2 hr and 1 hr lessons at my house. 45 minute lesson at the students house. make sense? i know i've asked a lot, but i know you guys will have some answers...
    thank you,

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Suspiria's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 16th, 2004
    Posts
    1,358
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey zomby.
    I know this may seem obvious, but did you ever have an instructor when you were younger? If he/she was an inspiration to you, why not contact them for advice on teaching?
    Hope I am not stating the obvious...just a suggestion.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member troutbrooke's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2005
    Posts
    904
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've used Syconpation to work on "Bozzio-esque" tom rolls around the kit as well as numerous other exercises. It's just a handy collection of drum notation with accents on and off the pulse. You definitely need to use your imagination to get anything out of it.

    It's also a good book to work on very basic reading.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member drumgod1's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2002
    Posts
    330
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have used the Vic Firth snare drum books before, and they are good. I also use Joel Rothman's Basic Drumming. It's a good beginner book with snare drum, rolls, some rudiments, accent studies, and drumset in it. It may be more economical for your students to buy one book instead of 2-4. I also make sure they alternate everything in the hand exercises. None of that right hand lead crap that their band directors teach.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member tombo74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2003
    Posts
    584
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Vdrummer:
    Syncopation is often used to teach snare reading and jazz independence, but other books do both better. The presence of bass drum notes make it possible for students to cheat, and not learn how to actually read note and rest values.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Exactly. Long ago, I went through this book swing style (short notes on snare, long notes on bass drum), and found myself having problems with the next step which was interpreting bop lead sheets in the same way from the Real book. Those damned quater notes fooled me! I then took some narrow white tape, covered all the bottom lines ant went through it again. The reading material is good, but HIDE THOSE 1/4 NOTES!

    For teaching I use:
    The 40 PAS rudiments
    Stick control (Yes, the 1st few pages. If a student can go further, I'll be more than happy)
    Snare drum method 1, by Vic Firth for basic snare and reading (Hide the stickings, they are too right heavy. I make them alternate)
    The logical approach to rhythmic notation, by Phil Perkins for reading
    Today's sounds for drumset, by Murray Houliff for basic rock/pop
    My own fill exercises
    Playing jazz time, by Chet Doboe
    Funk sambas, by Chet Doboe

    This is for beginners, but for the VERY rare more advanced and motivated students, I got TONS of other interesting material I'd be happy to pass them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •